Take a click back into Ancient Times, where typewriters were just everyday items.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

1936 Remington Noiseless Typewriter


Here's a Remington Noiseless Portable typewriter from around 1936. This one is in great cosmetic condition, all the labels in wonderful condition, but it has some mechanical problems...
1. One of the clips that holds the paper in place is missing (you can see one is on the left, but not on the right side of the platen)
2. The carriage return lever has been snapped of at some time...
3. The carriage string is broken...
4. The ribbon vibrator is bent slightly (I need to bend it back into place)
5. I need a new ribbon for it, if I ever get it working.
With all these (some minor, and some major) mechanical problems, I only paid around $30 for it... But I still belive it's worth it. The cosmetic condition is just amazing, so It's a great decortation piece. All of the labels are still in excellent shape too.

5 comments:

  1. I've got a design for the carriage lever that can be 3D printed. The current design needs a revision, but you'll be able to buy it straight from the store soon - if you feel okay about delving into your typewriter to replace it.

    The current design dips a little too close to the paper, and doesn't fold quite as smooth as I'd hoped. BUT.... you can read about it here.
    http://filthyplaten.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/mystery-part-or-six-million-dollar.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Noiseless Remingtons are quite attractive and good typewriters when they work.

    This particular model is interesting because the earliest models had plastic keys and they later switched to the metal ringed (glass? I never saw one in person this new) keys which are normally associated with older typewriters.

    The rubber feed rollers on old Remingtons frequently are in horrible condition and paper won't feed, so be sure to check that too.

    These use normal ribbons without reversing eyelets (so you can get a typical ribbon and cut the ends off), but they are tricky to install if you do not know how. There are no spools, but there is a metal clip which is needed. You should check for that too as I see no old ribbon, so perhaps it was removed.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The feed rollers feed the paper in great - No issues there. The rubber feet are all there, but are cracked.
      I don't think I'll be installing a ribbon, unless I fix the carriage string, but the clips are all there in place.

      Delete
  3. Looks nice and shiny. I have loved the design of these typewriters for 35 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the design just blows my mind away. Just too bad it doesn't work yet...

      Delete